Pages

Sunday, July 03, 2011

Photographic representations of mid-summer

1. I have been trying for two years with remarkable un-success to grow herbs indoors. Every single thing I've attempted to nurture has died with the sole exception of catnip, which I can't even eat. Given that the cat for whom this nip is intended is a determined destroyer of all my other potted plants, the survival of the catnip is doubly ironic. Anyway, I got a new batch of herbs last April, and the oregano has been looking droopy and brown since June, but then I woke up this morning and found this horrifying development:
WHAT IS THIS??? It's so repulsive that I refuse to touch it with even a stick or a projectile, but I'm afraid that if I don't remove it somehow, I will have a whole pot of them by tomorrow. How can I evict this slime??

2. The best sidewalk stencil I've ever seen, spotted in Watertown en route (or, getting lost en route) to Target:

3. I'm doing research on monarchist and sovereignty theories this summer for a professor. Being paid by the hour to read and digest early modern tracts is kind of an ill-fitting adaptation of the wage labor model for scholarship since, on the one hand, I can't read fast enough to justify my hourly wage, so I am overpaid, but on the other hand, I have to read all the time to produce the quantity of notes that merits my hourly wage. Here, Nigel is helping me with research by making sure that none of extra desk space goes unused:

3 comments:

alex said...

those are neon yellow mushrooms that sprung up overnight? very strange. evict them soon so nigel doesn't eat them!

mike shupp said...

Don't you have a husband? Surely evicting strange yellow things is one of his household duties.

Miss Self-Important said...

They seem to have keeled over after one day of vibrant invasion. Nigel is uninterested. And no, my husband did not see this as his province, although I unwittingly reinforced this conviction when I looked them up and discovered that they're basically harmless and not worth the effort of extrication.