Pages

Tuesday, November 06, 2012

Project thrifty coiffure, attempt #2

Remember when I tried to do this gauche, TMI thing? Ok, it failed. The problem is that training your hair to stop getting oily every day and coaxing it to switch to an every other day grease schedule demands that you schedule your life around hair washing, and if you exercise at all or need to go out in public between hours 36-48 of the unwashed state, you throw the whole hair-training schedule out of whack and have to start over. So annoying! But what is also annoying is washing your hair every day when it's long, because air drying takes hours and you end up spending most of the day in a damp hair state. (Let us not speak of the blow dryer that my friend accidentally dropped into my toilet last year. It was useless anyway because blow-drying makes my hair get greasy even faster.) There has to be an alternative. So I am trying anti-grease hair training again, except this time, I am no longer a thrifty person, having since upgraded to $8 shampoo and other absurdities, so I will be purchasing a dry shampoo to help things along. If this effort works, I will promote dry shampoo to the heavens. Seriously peeps, looking presentable is so much work. Women should get more credit.

6 comments:

alex said...

Well, it helps that you generally have no where to be, right? I do spend a lot of time thinking about the cleanliness of my hair, now that I am out of the house for 14 hours at a time. I wash it one night, and it's fine in the morning, but pushing it by the time I get home.
In the spirit of TMI, I have been experimenting with using the same amount of shampoo, but breaking it into two hair washings, one after the other. I don't know if it's psychological, but I do think my hair stays cleaner for a few more hours.

Miss Self-Important said...

I think that halving shampoo actually may work. One of my hairdressers suggested something similar - washing the scalp with shampoo b/c it's naturally oilier and the lengths/ends with conditioner b/c they're naturally drier, which effectively means halving the quantity of shampoo but applying it strategically. I've been doing this for a while, and it turns out that using less shampoo has the same effect, grease-wise. (Hence the upgrade to $8 shampoo.)

But my problem is that washing my hair at all, even with just water, makes it wet, and then it takes forever to dry. So my goal is to cut water-based hair activity in half, not just shampooing per se. And it's true that I have nowhere to be, but I also do sometimes wish to leave my apartment and go out, or for a run, and both of these disrupt my hair training.

Phoebe said...

The trick is to have hair that can't get greasy. That way, you can spend more than $8 on shampoo and not feel guilty about it, and when your hot water goes out in Sandy, no one has to know that you haven't washed your hair in X days, not that I know about any of this personally.

Miss Self-Important said...

That is precisely my goal in hair training! Can such hair be obtained through effort, or is it only a gift of fortuitous genetics?

Phoebe said...

I'm thinking genetics. My hair takes a decade to dry/style, but once that's done, I get to spend the following six decades leaving it be. Although the will to wash my hair when bathing generally gets the better of me. It takes a natural disaster, or a camping trip, or Birthright Israel, to confirm this quality.

Miss Self-Important said...

So my oily head is doomed? Sigh.