Pages

Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Thwarted thrift

My favorite Cambridge/Boston pizza chain closed and filed for bankruptcy. Not only is this sad news on the long-term pizza consumption front, but as an avid collector of those stamp cards for frequent patrons that give you a free product once you collect X number of stamps, I was only one stamp away from a free slice at Upper Crust! And since I pick up a stamp card pretty much wherever I go that offers one, even if it's from a subpar place or in a city I'm only visiting for two days and to which I'm never planning to return, so that there is no possible way I will be able to purchase the eight requisite cupcakes to get a free one, I have built up a sizable collection of these cards and, like lotto tickets, most are totally worthless. (Although you never know when you might randomly pass through central Vermont again, and again, and again, until you finally get a free cupcake for your efforts). But this card was well on its way to actually being useful, and then Upper Crust had to sabotage all my diligent thrift efforts. Hmph.

But, perhaps in compensation for this loss, my hair training is going pretty well, and I think my scalp has noticeably adjusted to its diminished shampoo rations.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Some of these punch cards are hidden and you have to ask for them and you may never even learn of their existence! This annoys me.

Also: I collect grocery store membership cards like you collect punch cards. I must have a dozen or so. That I carry with me everywhere.

EH

Phoebe said...

I have EXACTLY this issue re: a coffee from the now-defunct Bouley Bakery and Market. The small but poignant tragedy of the full-yet-unusuable stamp-card.

Miss Self-Important said...

EH: So are you suggesting that I now ask all the coffee shops I visit if they have secret punch cards? But this will make me look cheap, and then they will know in advance that I'm not going to tip the barista. Also, your telling me this reminds me of trying to bargain with cashiers at big box stores when I was a kid due to erroneous advice given me by my friend, whose mother had told her that you can always bargain about prices, which may have been true in Poland, but was less effective here. So we went to the Dollar Tree or whatever it was in the strip mall near our houses, selected several items we wished to purchase with substantially less money than they were being sold for, and attempted to instantiate the theory of universal bargaining. Conclusion: The theory is false.

Phoebe: Maybe we could attach this claim to the bankruptcy proceedings - in addition to all your other corporate debts, you ALSO owe me a coffee and slice of pizza.