Pages

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Lows

Went to the public library to dissertate, read Mindy Kaling's book instead. This is what happens when the library has glossy books. With pictures on the cover. It was pretty good though, for a book with no real point. I find Mindy Kaling very endearing, as evidenced by the fact that my husband and I are - as far a I can tell - the only people in America who regularly watch her show.*

* I realize that other people must be watching The Mindy Project, since it is a prime time show on a major network, but no one I know has ever mentioned it, unlike Downton Abbey or Mad Men or Girls, or one of these other national educated-person obsessions that clog my FB feed and that I refuse for this very reason to watch. Also because I can't afford HBO.

UPDATE: I felt guilty that this post contained nothing argumentatively substantive, and not even a shred of evidence for my claim that Mindy Kaling is endearing, so I decided to add this excerpt, with which I entirely agree:
"I do not think stress is a legitimate topic of conversation, in public anyway. No one ever wants to hear how stressed out anyone else is, because most of the time everyone is stressed out. Going on and on in detail about how stressed out I am isn’t conversation. It’ll never lead anywhere. No one is going to say, “Wow, Mindy, you really have it especially bad. I have heard some stories of stress, but this just takes the cake."
Phew, blog rigor restored.

7 comments:

Jennie said...

i watch 'the mindy project' in fits and starts (i'm currently on a hiatus, since i have recently gone down the vortex that is the show 'parenthood' on netflix ...). it's totally endearing though-- and i think it's improved throughout the season (or at least, what i've seen of it so far).

Anonymous said...

I love the mindy project. I think ts my favorite show of the season, just in front of new girl. Emily hale

Anonymous said...

I love the mindy project. I think ts my favorite show of the season, just in front of new girl. Emily hale

Miss Self-Important said...

Good! I'm glad I'm not alone, although my avoidance of culturally ubiquitous things should perhaps temper my desire for company. But it doesn't.

I think the show got a lot funnier since the episode when they hired the male nurse, but I also think that might've been approximately the second episode, so that's not exactly a gradual slope.

Phoebe said...

It's my favorite show currently on TV, well, Hulu. It just doesn't really lend itself to next-day analysis.

Phoebe said...

Also-I guess this is why it can be better to dissertate from home? Except then there are things like that article you sent me, which I do want to read. And this.

Miss Self-Important said...

I will think of a way to make it into a Political Issue. For example - is Mindy going to date one of every possible Male Cultural Stereotype only to discover that they are wholly unlike what a Typical Yuppie Liberal would expect? Examples: the soldier is a Jew and actually wants to be deployed, the pastor is white and fun-loving and not sexually uptight, the prostitute is male and actually a great player of cover songs on the piano.

Yes, home is full of shiny internet, and the public library is full of shiny books, and worst of all, I am empty of diligence and motivation.