Pages

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Future names for things that are not cats also adapted from the past

While we're on the subject, I should add that early modernity supplies good names for a great many things in addition to cats, like political pamphlets. Here, for example, is one that can be used for any occasion at all: The Best Answer Ever Was Made and To Which No Answer Will be Made (1706). This was not, unfortunately, truth in advertising, because an answer to it was indeed made, and had to be followed by another sally by the same author: The Finishing Stroke (1711). As far as I know though, that one really was conclusive.

I also failed to note in the previous post that the English of the seventeenth century were no less disposed to naming their children Pineapple than we are, as evidenced by a winning name I came across today: Offspring Blackall. I'm not English or a social historian, so it's hard for me to say whether this was actually as bizarre a name in its context as it now appears to be, but...Offspring?

Nonetheless, a decent name for a cat.

2 comments:

Phoebe said...

There's a grave in a town near me of a woman who lived, I think, in the early 19th C. Her name: Charity Case.

Miss Self-Important said...

Ha! Poor planning for 20th C. linguistic usage.