Pages

Friday, December 27, 2013

FMI: Tangy potato lentil salad recipe

I do not aim high in my cooking, and therefore do not typically chronicle it, but while in Cambridge, I came across an excellent mayonnaise-free potato salad at the Biscuit (whose sagging Yelp ratings do not do the place justice; it is actually the best coffee shop in all of Cambridge, even though it's technically in Somerville and even though no one has ever agreed with my endorsement) for which I could find no recipe online. Concerned that I would never be able to have it again once I left town, I noted all the ingredients listed on the container and then attempted to re-create it back in San Diego. My efforts have not so far issued in the perfect tangy goodness of the original, but I'm working on it. In the meantime, I offer myself, and tangentially also you, a possible recipe, so that I have something better than a list of ingredients to reference for future efforts:

Tangy Potato Lentil Salad with Smoked Paprika Dressing
4 servings

- 2 lbs fingerling potatoes (other kinds of potatoes also ok when in Whole Foods and Trader Joe's desert)
- 1/2 cup French lentils (green lentils also ok when in Whole Foods desert)
- 1/2 a red onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup capers
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Dressing: olive oil, red wine vinegar, Hebrew National mustard (any mustard works), salt, smoked paprika

1. Preheat oven to 450. Toss potatoes in oil and roast on baking pan for 20 minutes. Opening oven at any time during this procedure will set off the smoke alarm in your very poorly ventilated apartment. Be prepared by leaving front door open and keeping an eye on cat's proximity to said door. Remove potatoes and let cool.
2. Simmer lentils in 2 cups water until no longer hard, but not yet mushy.
3. Combine onion, capers, and garlic in bowl. Add drained lentils.
4. When potatoes have cooled, skin, slice into bite-size pieces, and add to bowl.
5. Whisk together dressing ingredients, add dressing to salad. Toss. Result should be reddish, but mine always turns out more orange than red.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Someone who tries to make potato salad without mayo deserves her failure. Mayo in potato salad is the wisdom of the ancients. dave.s.

Miss Self-Important said...

Mayo is just oil-and-vinegar dressing plus egg yolks. Little is lost by the omission of egg yolks.