Pages

Thursday, February 06, 2014

On buying Chinese cat clothes online

Following up on my previous post about buying super cheap clothes from China via eBay, I went ahead and did it. Reader Ponder Stibbons recommended YesStyle instead, and that was nicer and more thorough than eBay in terms of garment details and photos, but the exact same items (namely, leggings with angry cats) were available for much less on Ebay, so I decided to try that instead. But I note YesStyle here for my fellow petite readers who may have (or soon develop) an interest in East Asian fast fashion (ahem, Phoebe). For the non-petite, most of the items only come in one size, and that size is pretty small all around, so beware.

For a first go, I did not buy cat clothes, although I was sorely tempted. Instead, I bought this asymmetrical sweater tunic thing:


(I thought it looked cool in the picture; don't hate.) It was $9 with free shipping, so no huge loss if it didn't work out. Anyway, three weeks later, it came. It has no tags, no care instructions, no indications about which side is the back and which the front. True, one may suppose that back-front questions have intuitive answers for most items of clothing, but given that this sweater is intended to look as though it was put together by a first-time sewing machine user, intuitions are less reliable. So I made an executive decision about which way it's suppose to be worn, and on the whole, it's pretty good. Not as good as it looks on the model, but I think wearable in public. No idea what it's made of because, again, no tags. I think it's probably a poly blend, and not, say, radioactive cheese, which I was sort of worried about. It's true that you can easily find a decent $9 sweater at a thrift store without the uncertainty and three-week delay of Chinese online shopping, but can you find angry cat leggings? No. No you cannot. Therefore, more Chinese online shopping will likely occur soon.

8 comments:

Phoebe said...

Alice Waters wants us to buy food directly from the farmer. Perhaps, with made-in-China clothes, we should also cut out the middle-man? And yes, obviously, cheap clothes for too-short-for-American-womenswear set are of interest. Whether eBay is needed now that Uniqlo has come to (some) NJ suburban malls is another matter.

Miss Self-Important said...

You mean, we should visit the radioactive cheese factory in Shanghai for hand-picked selection? The seller on Ebay from whom I bought this sweater mainly seems to vend tech accessories, so we would have to rifle through a lot of headphones and smartphone cases.

No Uniqlo in San Diego, and does Uniqlo sell ANGRY CAT LEGGINGS? I'll bet no.

Phoebe said...

Oh, I meant that eBay was pretty direct. As vs. waiting for Zara or whatever to import stuff from China.

Uniqlo... does sell some funny leggings, but not that funny. Yesstyle, meanwhile, which I'd never heard of, seems fantastic. I want all the Korean clothes, with the exception of the "Patterned Wet-Look Harem Pants."

Miss Self-Important said...

It also has a lot of models who appear to be sucking their thumbs in an effort to look alluring. However, I do like that the clothes are modeled in multiple poses - like, this is what this jacket will look like when you are lifting things, and when you are reclining, and when you are walking down a chic city street in it. American retailers should consider this approach.

Phoebe said...

Multiple poses, plus (potentially) short, dark-haired, and pale. I can almost picture how I'd look in the clothes. And I now really want this shirt.

Miss Self-Important said...

I like that shirt a lot, although I don't understand why it has been paired with that completely incongruous skirt. But it seems expensive. Maybe there is a cheaper version on eBay? If you do buy it though (or anything else on that site), let me know how it works out.

Miss Self-Important said...

Options: 1, 2 (neither as good as the original), plus 3, which is only in plus sizes and not at all cheap. :(

Phoebe said...

Yeah, it's definitely too expensive, so I'm not buying it. And yes indeed, the styling is overkill. I think they're going for 'floral and romantic' and felt that every individual item had to fit the bill.