Pages

Thursday, March 20, 2014

Confessions of small world delusions

Whenever I'm in Chicago, I spend a lot of time in Evanston and always fully expect to run into Joseph Epstein there, to recognize him, and to successfully waylay him. This has never once happened in the approximately 10 years since I first decided it would, but I remain entirely convinced that it will each time I walk down Church Street. If Phoebe can repeatedly run into Woody Allen in Manhattan, I'd think that the odds are in my favor here, given the relative diminuitiveness of both the city and the fame of the target in question.

3 comments:

Phoebe said...

Famous profs totally surface when you least expect it. I was in Cambridge for about five minutes and saw Henry Louis Gates.

Woody, though, is probably keeping a lower profile these days. Last I saw of him and Soon Yi was at the Met, just walking around the museum like anyone else.

Withywindle said...

As I was walking through Barnard campus, a friend told me that I had almost bowled over Woody Allen a few seconds before. But I never actually saw him.

Miss Self-Important said...

I've seen Gates many times around campus, once singing, but I'd never specifically hoped to see him. Maybe I should just stop thinking about seeing Epstein, and then he will appear, also singing. But then, what if I miss him?