Pages

Monday, August 11, 2014

Golding, Lord of the Flies

I've long been intending to read this for obvious dissertation-related reasons, so when I found it on the shelf of the apartment I'm staying at this weekend, the moment seemed opportune. And here is that rare example of a good YA book: by dramatizing the tension between nature and civilization both within the individual and at the level of a society, it serves as a prelude to the reading of Hobbes and Freud. Its appeal is not exclusive to the young, but it's clearly an introduction to the study of psychology and politics rather than an extension of such studies. I would've loved it had I encountered it first in high school, but I'm not sure what it offers over and above Hobbes, save for the emphatic gesture towards childhood.

No comments: