Pages

Saturday, January 02, 2016

How Kenny Chesney can help you select a spouse

If you listen to country music (which of course you do, because it is great), you've probably heard the Kenny Chesney song, "Down the Road." If you also happen to be a Jew from Skokie who didn't realize that "Amazing Grace" was not in fact about a woman named Grace until you read about Calvinist theology in college, you may also have been puzzled by the line in said Kenny Chesney song which goes, "Mama wants to know if he's been washed in the blood or just in the water." What does this mean? Does Mama want to know if her prospective son-in-law believes in transubstantiation and is a Catholic? That seems doubtful, because there are no Catholics in country music. Well, behold, the internet has answers. The best thing about this is that this church has not here offered simply a general theological clarification, but a specific response to and endorsement of a Kenny Chesney song: "A popular country song by Kenny Chesney describes a mother who wants to know if the boy that her daughter is going to marry is 'washed in the blood or just in the water.' When young Christians are contemplating marriage, that is an important thing to consider." America is great.

6 comments:

educatedwhinge said...

My wife and I are big fans of the Great Country Diversity Ballad (tm), Toby Keith's 'Drunk Americans'.

Miss Self-Important said...

Well, what can I say? Toby Keith also thinks America is great, and is not concerned about expressing this thought in a politically correct way.

But that song reminds me: is there any other genre of American music that still produces drinking songs? (That is, songs to be sung while drinking, not just songs about drinking.) I can't think of any pop drinking songs, but off the top of my head, country has another recent Toby Keith gem, "Beer for My Horses," and my personal favorite, Tracy Byrd's "10 Rounds with Jose Cuervo." These are important contributions to culture.

Withywindle said...

One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer!

Miss Self-Important said...

I had to look that up, but it was written in 1953! That's stretching the definition of "recent."

educatedwhinge said...

There are lots of rap drinking songs, including the bleak holiday number "all I want for christmas is to get it crunk" by the Dirty Boyz. I heard it on the radio in December. I do not recommend listening to it.

Miss Self-Important said...

You're right, I hadn't even thought of rap or hiphop, but now that you mention it, there are many sing-able hiphop songs about partying. But are they intended to be sung in a group while engaging in said partying? That I'm not sure about. But I am pretty sure that the spirit of 10 Rounds of Jose Cuervo is in fact that it be sung in a bar, probably while imbibing the eponymous spirit.