Pages

Monday, March 07, 2016

On school pride

My friend David recently brought to my attention the fact that one of the potential SCOTUS nominees, Merrick Garland, is a graduate of my high school. And my grade school, on further investigation. It occurred to me that, while this person was never mentioned by my school as a notable alumnus in whom students might take some pride, we were constantly reminded of Bart Conner, famous athlete of some sort, as the pinnacle of achievement. Since graduation, my high school's alumni publication has promoted as its exemplars an NFL player, a WNBA player, and, because sometimes something like brains can be just as lucrative as brawn, the guy who created match.com and made his fortune by buying up all the one-word domain names on the internet in the early '90s and then selling them in the late '90s.

No comments: